Let’s see how the search engines handle that! The treadle on the painted spinning wheel I am currently restoring had badly worn axles as well as the wrought iron axles were delaminating and causing problems where they come in contact with the wooden legs. Other parts of the restoration process are posted here and here.
The nature of wrought iron with its inclusions of slag has resulted in the problems encountered here. The wrought iron axles have delaminated and caused damage to the beech legs through which the axles pivot.
Here is the damage done to the beech [worm damaged] leg.
The first one I easily removed by grasping it with a pair of pliers, gently twisting and it came right out. The second one was more of a problem and required some effort to get it loose. I used a small pointed tool to deliniate a line around the axle between the metal and the wood. I then put a drop of ethanol alcohol at the junction. I repeated this several times, while gently twisting the axle with pliers. After some time it became loose and more time and gentle work the axle came out.
I will use hot hide glue to reattach the new iron axles [provided by Master Blacksmith Mark Schramm]. the tangs of the new axles will be prepared with garlic prior to gluing in place.