I have wanted one of this type of magnifying glass stand for a long time. I recently acquired this on a large trade for many other tools, etc. I had my apprentice cut out the round pine disk with a coping saw then using a rip saw cut it in half leaving two pieces 5/16″ in thickness and 1 7/8″ in diameter.
I made a paper pattern for the leather for the case as well as 3 pieces of round leather, the lower pine disk has leather on both sides and the upper disk has leather on the inside and walnut burl veneer on the top surface. The leather and veneer were glued on with Lee Valley Fish Glue, I really like that stuff. I put a French polish on the walnut burl, then a thin coat of Moses T’s Gunstocker’s Finish. I punched my mark in the bottom before assembly.
Using a bone folder I put some decorative line work around the leather including the tongue that secures the case shut when pushed through the retaining strap. The strap also had decoration on the front, it passes through slits in the leather I made with a sharp chisel. Using a Hudson Bay pattern stitching awl, I punched square shaped holes for the waxed [beeswax and tallow] linen thread, in line so the points of the square holes line up. This allows the thread to lay flat along the seam. I also pounded the thread flat into the leather to reduce wear.
Using #2 copper tacks I affixed the leather to the sides of the disk after having applied fish glue to the leather and edges of the top and bottom pieces. Tiny little tacks, but just right for this small project.
I then cut thin strips of leather to cover the exposed pine edge; I scarfed the ends of the leather to lay flat where the leather flap opening is not attached to the top and bottom. Using even smaller #1 1/2 copper tacks to attach the exposed pine edges finishing off the case.
It was a fun project and took my mind off a truely challenging project that I will post soon.