I have made wallets for my tombstone scrapers and my card scrapers, and my steel graining combs, so I thought I should make one for myself. I have a couple of reproduction wallets, one I use for my checkbook and the other I use daily. The problem with the pocket wallet is that when it is opened, it can spill half the contents out, and original design flaw. The wallet was also slightly wider than it needed to be, so the new wallet is about 1″ narrower than the one I had been using.
Then I saw some historic 18th century wallets and billfolds and decided to copy those styles, so I incorporated features from several different examples and came up with a design of my own [which I totally ripped off from the past].
Made from hair cell pigskin I got from the Leather Factory [a Tandy outlet] here in Salt Lake and have used it before for my scraper wallets. The thread is No. 30 Machine Linen thread from Belgium, and used two needles to sew it up. [If I do much more leather work I will need to build a stitching horse or pony. I used a traditional Hudson Bay trade awl for all of the holes for the stitches. The open ends are doubled back for extra reinforcement.
The traditional clasp is made from pure silver .999, and I drilled the holes using pivot bits in my Archimedes Drill and even managed to make all of the cuts from the outside shapes to the piercings for the rectangular slots for the catch without breaking a blade in my jeweler’s saw. I filed the edges and rinded the sewing holes to make them smooth to preserve the thread. I lightly sanded the surface with 600 grit then burnished it with a steel burnisher to a high shine.
I may do some tooling to the surfaces but I can do that at any time, and I am thinking of pinking the scallops on the inside.
Now back to woodworking.
I will never, I repeat never work on another piece of new made crap, ever again. In the first place the material used is of inferior quality and the modern glue sucks. The FSO are impossible to properly repair and there is no way to match those dead looking poly urethane coatings [I won’t even call them finishes].
What a waste of resources but considering our throw away society and the lack of taste most people exhibit, I guess they get what they deserve.
Buy a proper piece of craftsman made furniture and pass it down through your family instead of purchasing some crap that will end up in a landfill.
Let’s see how the search engines handle that! The treadle on the painted spinning wheel I am currently restoring had badly worn axles as well as the wrought iron axles were delaminating and causing problems where they come in contact with the wooden legs. Other parts of the restoration process are posted here and here.
The nature of wrought iron with its inclusions of slag has resulted in the problems encountered here. The wrought iron axles have delaminated and caused damage to the beech legs through which the axles pivot.
Here is the damage done to the beech [worm damaged] leg.
The first one I easily removed by grasping it with a pair of pliers, gently twisting and it came right out. The second one was more of a problem and required some effort to get it loose. I used a small pointed tool to deliniate a line around the axle between the metal and the wood. I then put a drop of ethanol alcohol at the junction. I repeated this several times, while gently twisting the axle with pliers. After some time it became loose and more time and gentle work the axle came out.
I will use hot hide glue to reattach the new iron axles [provided by Master Blacksmith Mark Schramm]. the tangs of the new axles will be prepared with garlic prior to gluing in place.