With a couple in the queue, so I need to get busy. Here is one I just recently completed, a kit wheel, very well made in the style of the 1850’s. It was in need of lubrication, a tune up and a new drive band. The customer also ordered 5 additional bobbins for hours of uninterrupted spinning.
The bobbins are made of cherry, glued together with hide glue and finished with Moses T’s Gunstocker’s Finish. The weather has turned nice so I put them out for a bit of a suntan. I will not stain them as they will darken with time.
A quick job came in the shop, a request for two additional bobbins for a Canadian Production Spinning Wheel. Also made a peg to hold the crank and provided a ‘chicken nut’ and bolt for the clam shell tension mechanism.
The first coat was a mixture of Moses T’s St. John’s Oil and red iron oxide and yellow ocher. I allowed this to dry overnight, then a light sanding.
I then sealed it with shellac followed by a coat of Moses T’s St. John’s Oil and burnt umber. The weather was so nice I put them outside to dry.
Then a thin coat of Moses T’s St. John’s Oil and black iron oxide. Turned out fine and the customer was happy.