This is a wheel that a friend found at the dump and gave it to me to restore.
The wheel will eventually be for sale, it is on the back burner, as other jobs are in the queue first. Here is a photograph from Southern Antiques and Folkart by Robert Morton showing a tin distaff cup.
I asked master blacksmith and tinsmith Brian Westover to make one for my wheel and also some for sale.
Here is what it looks like on the lower part of the yet unfinished distaff, a small peg slides out under the distaff to hold it in place.
I will work on it when I get some free time between other projects.
You can order a distaff cup here.
I initially posted this as ‘Bobbin Shaped Object‘, but I was wrong apparently there was a family that made bobbins this way, just not for CPW’s. so I borrowed an original CPW bobbin from a friend to copy. I did repair the broken bobbin.
I also finished the whorl repair, I used shellac and burnt umber pigment and was able to match the original finish.
I also applied a couple coats of Moses T’s Gunstocker’s Finish to the cherry bobbins and put them in the sun to give them a bit of a tan.
Also included in the order was a Chicken Nut, to finish out the restoration. I put it in the post this morning.
A customer sent me a flyer, whorl, and ‘bobbin’ for repairs to the whorl and requested three  new bobbins for her Canadian Production Wheel. When I received it in the mail, I took off the whorl [it has left hand threads] and the ‘bobbin’ came apart like no other bobbin I had ever seen before and you can believe I have seen a lot of bobbins.
As you can see from the picture the center shaft of the bobbin is butt joined to the pulley end rather than the traditional round socket holes and tenons on both ends? I found this very curious and thought that whoever sold the wheel put this ‘bobbin shaped object’ in place in order to sell the wheel. I notified the owner, who contacted the seller, who got in touch with me.
Apparently the seller had purchased it from a known collector on the East coast and had made sure the wheel was functional and did not notice the suspect bobbin prior to selling it to my customer.
I am convinced it was not done to deceive and I think everything is smoothed out with the seller [who wants me to do some work for them] and the project progresses. I contacted a local friend and she lent me an original CPW bobbin to copy, so the new ones will look right and are constructed using original techniques.
You can see the chip in the whorl in the above photograph. I marked out a dovetail Dutchman repair on the whorl, then using a small sharp knife cut the end grain birch to the right shape.
I then cut a piece of end grain birch to fit into the dovetail and glued it in with Fish Glue.
After the glue dried I shaped it to match the original whorl.
I will stain it to match the original color.
Here is the first of three bobbins, I still have to glue them together and finish them with Moses T’s Gunstocker’s Finish. The bobbins are made out of cherry and I will put them in the sun for a tan, no stain.
Yes this one has been on my list ever since I saw it illustrated in Salaman”s book and I did a more detailed sketch on page 48 of Shepherds’ Compleat Early Nineteenth Century Woodworker originally published in 1981.
Richard McDonald did the turning in hard maple for me, and Mark Schramm made the special long spokeshave blade, similar to these but 4″ long with short 1″ tangs. [If you are interested in one of these blades send me an email.]
The layout was interesting and a bit challenging to get the cutting edge near the center line of the turning. I drilled the through holes with gimlet bits starting with my smallest and working up a couple of sizes. I then worried the square holes with a small 1/8″ chisel and used the ends of the tangs to scrape the holes to their final shape.
I then had to cut off some of the lower tang so it did not protrude from the wood on the back side. I waited until it was fit up before I sharpened the blade with a file and honed it on a whetstone.
I had to make a recess for the chips to escape and not clog up the works as it cuts the taper. I used a small gouge to carve the shape then one of my Tombstone Scrapers to smooth it out and deepen the channel.
All in all, I am happy with how it turned out and how well it works, even though it was not the easiest tool I have ever made it is finally off the list.
Now where is that list to see what is next up?
I have completed the new mother of all and spindle for the spinning wheel from Florida, time to pack it up and ship it home.
The flange and power pulley are turned of maple, then fit and the pulley turned to its final dimension. The metal spindle from master blacksmith Mark Schramm was roughened up where the flange and pulley are attached, then washed with alcohol and etched with a fresh clove of garlic. I used Fish Glue to attach them together.
With the parts all turned up and fit, I drilled the holes for the braided corn husk bearings and started the finish schedule. The first coat is yellow ocher in Moses T’s St. John’s Oil followed by a sealing coat of burnt umber and shellac.
Then a coat of Moses T’s St. John’s Oil with burnt umber, then a thin seal coat of straight shellac.
The last color is of course black iron oxide in Moses T’s St. John’s Oil and allowed to dry. Both the Birch and reclaimed Chestnut match the original color now.
Ready to pack up and ship.