Full Chisel Blog

March 18, 2012

Leg repair continued

I started this repair much earlier and am getting down to the finishing process, this is how it came out.

I then did some darkening with burnt umber in shellac, then added a wash of shellac and yellow ocher dry powdered pigment.  After it dried I mixed up a bit of Moses T’s St. John’s Oil, and kieselguhr [rottenstone, Tripoli, diatomaceous earth], and rubbed into the grain of the new wood to fill the pores of the mahogany.

It is a bit hazy and should get even more hazy as the oil dries.  It is raining today so it may take an extra day to dry out before it can be sanded and the finish process continues.

Stephen

No Comments »

No comments yet.

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress