Full Chisel Blog

June 29, 2013

Rinder, or if you prefer Reamer

Filed under: Drilling,Historical Material,Of Interest,Proper Tools,Techniques,Uncategorized — Stephen Shepherd @ 9:18 am

rindersI however like to use the old term and rinder is the obscure traditional name.  My collection of rinders doubled with a recent trade.  The top two are square tapered and works great on wood, although it does work on soft metal.


The lower two have 5 sides instead of the 4 on the square rinders.  The larger 5 sided rinder is stamped P.S. Stubs.  All of my rinders fit in a brace, even the odd square tang can be held in my all metal Fray & Pigg, Spafford pattern coach maker’s brace.



  1. Any idea of when the name Rinder came into play?

    Comment by Gary Roberts — June 30, 2013 @ 10:48 am

  2. Gary,
    An early nineteenth century catalogue of P.S. Stubs lists them as ‘rinders’.


    Comment by Stephen Shepherd — June 30, 2013 @ 10:55 am

RSS feed for comments on this post. TrackBack URL

Leave a comment

Powered by WordPress