At last I got the entire prototype built and dry assembled and it functions as expected. The first photograph shows the two shapes I will offer, both U-shape and V-shape flyers. The flyers, whorl and mandrel vary slightly with each wheel and each complete unit is made to fit existing wheels where these are missing. A simple measurement between the leather bearings is provided and the assembly is custom made to fit.
The second photograph shows one prototype finished, I am working on the second whorl, the mandrel, and flyer are done and fitted together. I will roughen up the surface of the metal, wash it with soap and water, then alcohol before etching with garlic. I will use hot hide glue to attach them together.
The mortise in the flyer is not that easy to make as it is endgrain and the unusual shape of the mandrel makes this a challenge. I used charcoal to cover the mandrel, which transfers to the mortise to show where wood needs to be removed. I don’t use graphite as that will interfere with the glue and the charcoal will not.
Will have the pricing soon.