I first received an email with a photograph of a walnut table leg, early nineteenth century [client said 1860's, I think it is 1840's] dining table from Virginia and was asked if I could make one as the 5th [center] leg was missing. I said ‘yes’ and got a couple more photographs with a tape measure in the photograph. Another email or two and I had other dimensions I needed.
I then made a scale drawing of the leg and worked on that until it looked correct and then proceeded to make a full size paper pattern of the leg. With the help of Richard MacDonald [Master Wood Carver, who loves to turn] turn the leg from the pattern.
I then ripped the waste wood on the taper of the octagonal part, to a square taper.
Next I layed out the octagonals with a white pencil, easier to see on walnut than a graphite pencil. I planed the first one by hand then decided to use a chisel to quickly remove the excess then my two small coffin smoothers [one set coarse, the other set fine] to smooth out the rough chisel marks.
A card scraper finished up the flats and it is ready to go. Yesterday when the client called I had just finished up the work, it will be picked up today and be on its way to Texas. They have a furniture restoration guy there that will cut it to length and do the finish work.
A fun project, the rendering took a bit of time but was well worth the effort and the customer was happy, just picked it up.