A customer sent me a flyer, whorl, and ‘bobbin’ for repairs to the whorl and requested three  new bobbins for her Canadian Production Wheel. When I received it in the mail, I took off the whorl [it has left hand threads] and the ‘bobbin’ came apart like no other bobbin I had ever seen before and you can believe I have seen a lot of bobbins.
As you can see from the picture the center shaft of the bobbin is butt joined to the pulley end rather than the traditional round socket holes and tenons on both ends? I found this very curious and thought that whoever sold the wheel put this ‘bobbin shaped object’ in place in order to sell the wheel. I notified the owner, who contacted the seller, who got in touch with me.
Apparently the seller had purchased it from a known collector on the East coast and had made sure the wheel was functional and did not notice the suspect bobbin prior to selling it to my customer.
I am convinced it was not done to deceive and I think everything is smoothed out with the seller [who wants me to do some work for them] and the project progresses. I contacted a local friend and she lent me an original CPW bobbin to copy, so the new ones will look right and are constructed using original techniques.
You can see the chip in the whorl in the above photograph. I marked out a dovetail Dutchman repair on the whorl, then using a small sharp knife cut the end grain birch to the right shape.
I then cut a piece of end grain birch to fit into the dovetail and glued it in with Fish Glue.
After the glue dried I shaped it to match the original whorl.
Here is the first of three bobbins, I still have to glue them together and finish them with Moses T’s Gunstocker’s Finish. The bobbins are made out of cherry and I will put them in the sun for a tan, no stain.